Our Company Blog

Do I Need to Insure My Motorcycle, Scooter, or Moped?

At Elite Insurance Solutions, one of the more common questions our agents are asked concerns the Tennessee state laws on motorcycle, moped, and other two- and three-wheeled vehicle insurance policies. Our customers want to know if two- and three-wheeled motorized vehicles require any insurance as well as what types of coverage are available. We would like to share some information with you from the Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security regarding insurance policies and requirements for these types of transportation.

Exactly which two- and three-wheeled motorized vehicles are required by the State of Tennessee to be insured?

Although you can always contact the Department of Safety and Homeland Security to ask about the requirements for your motorcycle, scooter, or moped, the state has provided the following specifics:


MOTORCYCLES: In Tennessee, all motorcycles are required to be both registered and insured to drive legally on state roads. A motorcycle is defined as any two- or three-wheeled vehicle with an engine of 125 cc or more.

MOTOR-DRIVEN CYCLES: Also requiring registration and insurance, this type of cycle (more commonly known as a scooter) is defined as a two- or three-wheeled vehicle with an engine of up to 125 cc.

MOPEDS: Defined by the state as any motor-driven cycle with an engine under 50 cc, mopeds do not require insurance or registration; however, the state recommends both if you plan to use the moped in one of the allowable public areas.

What are the minimum requirements for insurance coverage for these vehicles?

Tennessee requires the following amounts of coverage for two- and three-wheeled motorized vehicles:

  • $25,000 for bodily injury per person
  • $50,000 for total bodily injury if multiple people are involved in the accident
  • $15,000 for property damage

Is there an alternative to buying motorcycle, scooter, or moped insurance in Tennessee?

Tennessee does allow you to establish financial responsibility in another way besides purchasing liability coverage. Depending on your situation, you can deposit cash or a bond with the Department of Safety and Homeland Security; however, you may find it much more economical to speak with one of the agents at Elite Insurance Solutions to find an affordable insurance policy for your motorcycle, scooter, or moped.

Want to know more about insurance coverage of motorcycles, scooters, and mopeds? Contact Elite Insurance Solutions to ask one of our agents anything you need to know.