Insurance For Motorcyclists In Tennessee

If you own a motorcycle in the state of Tennessee, it is very important that you carry motorcycle insurance. If you cause an accident where someone is injured or if you are involved in an accident and are injured and you don’t have insurance, you may be sued for damages or be forced to pay for everything out of pocket.

Furthermore, if you are ever involved in an accident or are pulled over by a Tennessee police officer, you’ll be required to show your proof of insurance (or proof of financial responsibility) along with your registration. If you don’t maintain financial responsibility for your motorcycle, you may be punished with fines, have your license suspended, or have a STOP put against your vehicle, which prevents you from renewing your registration.

Let Elite Insurance Solutions get you set up with great, affordable motorcycle insurance coverage so you can get out and enjoy the road with peace of mind.

Tennessee Motorcycle Laws

In the state of Tennessee, you must have an approved form of insurance coverage or proof of financial responsibility to legally operate a motorcycle on state roads. Proof of financial responsibility can be established by purchasing liability insurance from a qualified carrier or by posting a cash deposit or bond with the Tennessee Department of Safety.

It’s important to note that no matter how much liability coverage you purchase or how much of a cash deposit or bond you post, you must wear a helmet whenever you operate or ride a motorcycle, scooter, or moped in Tennessee.

Generally, motorcycle insurance policy in Tennessee must include at least:

  • $25,000 for one injury or death
  • $50,000 for all injuries or deaths
  • $15,000 for property damage for one accident

However, meeting the minimum liability coverage requirements doesn’t always mean you have enough protection. An Elite Insurance Solutions agent will be able to help you choose the right amount of coverage for your needs.

Motor-Driven Cycle And Moped Laws in Tennessee

According to the Tennessee Department of Motor Vehicles, both motorcycles and motor-driven cycles must be registered and insured. Mopeds, meanwhile, don’t have to be registered or insured, since they can only venture into certain areas. However, the Department of Safety recommends insuring a moped if you plan to use it in an allowable public area.

In Tennessee, these two- or three-wheeled vehicles are defined as such:

  • Motorcycle: A motorcycle is any two- or three-wheeled vehicle with a 126 cc or more engine.
  • Motor-driven cycle: Also known as a scooter, a motor-driven cycle is a two- or three-wheeled vehicle with an engine of between 51 cc and 125 cc.
  • Moped: A moped is any two- or three-wheeled motor-driven cycle with an engine under 50 cc.

To learn more about motorcycle insurance or any other insurance coverage you need, please visit our Locations & Contact page and find the Tennessee location and agent nearest you. We look forward to hearing from you!


Life insurance provides benefits that can help you and your loved ones at many stages of life. Talk to us today about this popular personal coverage.

Request A Quote

Follow Us


Elite Insurance solutions provided me with a great experience finding car insurance. Finding the right insurance is not always easy. Elite insurance solutions helped find an affordable plan with the right coverage for me. The service was wonderful. I felt like very little of the effort came from me, it was all from Tracie, my representative.
~ Clayton Roe